Call Us 1800 800 098

exit button

The ideas contained in this safety plan are only a guide to assist you. You need to trust your instincts. You know your partner better than anyone else. Only you can decide what will be the safest course of action for you and your children.

If you would like support in making a safety plan, contact your local women’s domestic violence service.

Some things to consider in your safety plan
  • The safest time to leave (for example, when the children are with you and he is at work or out with his friends, etc).
  • A list of contact numbers including those needed for emergencies.
  • Where you will go. You may be able to stay with family or friends or you may need to seek emergency accommodation by calling the Women’s Safety Services of SA on 1800 800 098.
  • How you will get there (eg your own car, friends/family, taxi).
  • Pack a bag with essential items. See Items To Take  for ideas about what you will need.
  • How you will take your belongings and where you will store them. If you are not able to take these safely you can retrieve these later with police attendance. This is called a Police Standby and to do this you call 131 444.
  • Arrangements for any pets (eg stay with family/friends, contact RSPCA or Animal Welfare League ).
  • If you use your home telephone in making your arrangements, after calling press any number so he cannot use redial to trace this.
  • See Technology Safety  for ideas to enhance safety when using computers, smart phones, tablets or any other devices used to access the Internet.
  •  If it is safe to do so, have a code word you can use with your children to tell them to run to neighbours for assistance.
  • If it is safe to do so, let someone (friend or family) know that you are fleeing.
  • If you have no independent source of income, contact Centrelink on 13 61 50 to apply for income support as well as family allowance.
  • You may be eligible to apply for a crisis payment from Centrelink if you do this within 7 days of leaving by calling 13 17 94.
  • Try and have a mobile phone on you at all times and make sure you keep it charged. You can still call 000 or 112 for emergency services, even without credit.
  • Speak to your local women’s domestic violence service. They can provide you with information and support.
  • If the abuser continues to harass, follow or abuse you, or you fear he might do this, you may be able to apply for an intervention order which will prevent him from doing certain things like coming to your home, going to your children’s school, following or watching you, or sending messages to you.
  • Consider seeking legal advice in relation to your and your children’s ongoing safety, as well as family law matters.


Call Us 1800 800 098

Stay in touch with us via social media

WSSSA P facebook WSSSA P twitter



excellence of service badge

Important Note

Please note that the Women’s Safety Services SA contact email is only supervised between 9AM-5PM, Monday to Friday, and you will not receive a response outside these times.

If you are in urgent need of assistance or are concerned for your safety, please call 000 or call our Domestic Violence Crisis Line on 1800 800 098 or 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Go to top