Intervention Orders

In Australia, some abusive behaviour is against the law, even if it is done by someone you know such as partner, spouse or family member (including a child). Behaviour that is against the law includes physical & sexual assault, stalking and threats to kill.

Police can also assist you to apply for an Intervention order, which is an order made by a court that sets out conditions for the person who has been abusive (such as to not come near you or get other people to harass you). They will not get a criminal record if an intervention order is granted, but if they disobey the conditions, they can be charged with a crime.